Friday, December 16, 2011

Check Out My Dealie Boppers!

Delia reminded me that I haven't posted a picture of my birthday dealie boppers yet, so here it is!  I apologize for the moon pajamas and my total unwillingness to put on a bra.  That's hard work, and I just wasn't up for it tonight.


You can't see it in the picture, but there are flashing lights on the dealie boppers.  Also, check out my red hair!  I talked to my mom about the green hair thing, and decided not to do it right now.  I'm planning to go to Christmas Eve services with them (I never go to church, so it's kind of a big deal to Mom), and I know it would completely humiliate them for me to show up with green hair.  I know that's silly, but I'll respect their feelings about it.

Also, I talked to the hairstylist, and apparently maintaining an unusual color is a hell of a lot of work.  I'd probably be re-dying my hair every week to two weeks.  I am so not up for that right now.  So I'll be sticking with the fiery, but longer lasting, red.

And since you can't really see them in that first photo, here are the giant hoop earrings that I talked about a million years ago but never posted a picture of.


Aren't they fantastic?  They looked good with the scraggly blond mop that I used to have, but they really work with the red.

Also, taking clear pictures of myself, one handed, with that thing was a serious pain in the butt.  Definitely not designed for taking pictures of yourself one handed.

In other news, there are two jars of cherries draining in the refrigerator right now.  Tomorrow is chocolate covered cherry day!  Messy, but fun.  And the results are worth it.  Better than any chocolate covered cherry you'll buy in the store.  The recipe I use is in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.  (Also available online here.)  They're a little harder to find, but if you decide to make this recipe, take the time to find cherries with stems.  Your results will be much better.  (Especially if you're not an experienced candy maker.)

I think that's all the news and pictures for today.  I've started my brother's socks, but just barely.  I need to get trucking on them if he's going to get something more than an IOU in his stocking.  And I haven't finished embellishing my peanut, but maybe I'll have pics of that tomorrow!

Lip balm of the day: a very festive and seasonal White Cranberry.  (It's way yummy!)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:17 AM

    Yipee for great pictures! SO glad you remarked on taking that shot one handed, I was wondering. (Having to photograph my own palm was a huge challenge, trying to get my entire person, not blurred and in frame, would be impossible, go you.) Oh yes, touch-ups for hair COLOR can be fairly tedious, but you can do it yourself pretty quickly once you get the hang of it, and schedule it into your week.

    What is the deal with your new knitted peanut? I saw the tweety but thought I'd missed something.

    I adore your PJs. Oh psh, bras are for going OUT! And even then, it's a 50/50 chance.
    Julie
    (Going to see about that cherry recipe now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:37 AM

    Excellent deelie boopers! Love them! and the earrings too. I really like that red hair on you. I would look weird with red hair because of my skin tone, so I'm always a little envious of people who can rock the red hair look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful deelie boppers. I'm kinda bummed about the no green, though. I'm with Karen and the red not being good for my skin tone. I've tried it before. Yikes. Anywho, I think I'm just going to get myself some Manic Panic or Raw in a nice dark shade of electric purple and stick a big purple stripe on the front of my head. I won't do the bleaching part, though, so it won't be all that bright. (If I were going to go to the trouble of bleaching, I'd totally go cotton candy pink. Red bad. Pink good. Maybe I'll just wait for the pink until all my hair goes gray and provides me with a better base color. :) ) Cute jammies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way my hairstylist explained it is that the molecules in the non-traditional hair colors are really big. They bust the keratin wide open, and then they "fall out" quickly. So that's why you have to re-do it often to maintain bright colors.

    Also, the line of colors she carries has a Ronald McDonald red, but nothing else funky.

    I don't think I've completely ruled it out as a possibility for the future, but needing to do the dying myself has made the idea a little less exciting.

    FWIW I hear that Special Effects is a better product than Manic Panic, and it's available on Amazon. http://www.specialeffectsusa.com/hair_dye.html

    Manic Panic is the one I always used in college, and it can be found at Hot Topic. So, you know, just ask the first Twilight obsessed 14 year old you see for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh. I have a customer loyalty card at Hot Topic. :) With the types of dyes you find at the hair salon, this is true (about the keratin). However, with stuff like Manic Panic, Special Effects, Raw, etc., they're vegetable based semi-permanent colors and they operate differently. Basically, they coat the hair. Now, if you bleach the hair first, not only do you lighten the base, but you make the hair more porous, allowing the dye to penetrate the hair, which it wouldn't normally do. It sits on top and, sometimes, stains, like Kool-Aid. That's it. You can remove it with a hot oil treatment, which is much kinder to your hair than salon treatments (assuming you don't bleach, which I won't). Anywho, the Manic Panic has been purchased. I'll be going at it after Christmas. Wish me luck. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate it!