Friday, October 01, 2010

A review home of my own

I'm really digging this whole book reviewing thing.  It's fun to take all those little conversations with myself as I read a book and put them out there for others to consider, too.  It's fun to spend more time after I finish a novel really analyzing what worked and what didn't and why.

But from the first one it felt like this isn't the right place for them.  This blog is only tangentially about books.  It's called It's All About Me for a reason.  I considered starting a second blog just for reviews, but since I've only managed, what, 3 reviews in the last six or eight weeks?  Yeah, that'd go nowhere fast.

So here's what I'm thinking.  A group review blog.  The details can be worked out when it's more than just me babbling about it.  But generally I'd like to find at least 4 bloggers willing to commit to one book review every other week.  That should work out (assuming my math is correct-- something no one should ever assume) to two book reviews per week on the blog.  If we find more than 4 bloggers we could either go with more reviews posted every week or back off the commitment by each blogger to one every 3 or even 4 weeks.

I'd like to be pretty broad about the genres.  I read romance, mystery, science fiction, fantasy, and YA.  It would be nice if we all connected in some way with our reading tastes, so that there is some continuity.  But I'd love to have co-bloggers who read in different genres, too, and review things I would never have discovered on my own.

What do you think?  Sound good?  Crazy rambling of a woman who really needs to get some sleep?  If it's something you think you'd like to do, let me know and we can start talking details.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:23 AM

    I'd visit (and participate in) such a site. Perhaps it's something that could be incorporated into the CCB site? With Alastair at the helm, genres could be drilled down to a fine grind. Just a suggestion. If you'd rather your own multi-user blog, I'd visit there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Ooh I love to read book reviews and I love to talk about what i'm reading! I wanna play pick me pick me! (oh, am i being obnoxious???)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way, not obnoxious at all Lora! I love everything about reading, too, including talking about reading.

    Stormy, I think I'd like to set this up as my own thing, partially because I think it could be tricky for Lucy to have frank reviews formally hosted on a community that she started. But I hadn't thought of picking Alastair's brain when it comes to the techincal part of getting it up and running. I hadn't thought much past looking for a blogger handle that is bookish and available. (My good ideas often race well ahead of my practical planning!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, Thank you for not putting it at CCB's I have yet to wrap my mind around that place as have created a user identity but bla bla can't make it work...

    I'll read/post/comment/do a happy dance any time you want for this blog or your new one. How bout BookBetties?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:42 AM

    Okay, I waited a full day before I jumped over here to comment. I can barely run my own blog (and technically I'm not doing that, relying on my daughter for complicated stuff) so I will be of no help at all with your new idea. However, it is a brilliant idea! And I would love to contribute, if only by saying "oh yeah, I read that, good/not good."
    And I'm with Lora, can't find my ass with both hands over there at Crazy Crap Cafe, or whatever it's called. (No harm intended Lucy, just being irreverent, because I have no self-control, and am horribly immature.)
    My vote is: go for it, I'm behind you, cheering, and looking for my ass.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate it!