Monday, February 07, 2011

Indiana is Pissing Me Off

Usually I avoid the news, because I don't have enough energy to waste any being annoyed.  But I caught just enough of a news broadcast to skate past annoyed into pissed off.  The Republicans are currently pushing an amendment to the Indiana Constitution to ban gay marriage.  It's already state law, but they want to make really, really sure that no judge can overturn it.  This piece of asshattery was particularly irritating:


“Two percent of the population does not have the right to define marriage for the rest of the population,” said Micah Clark of the American Family Association, referring the minority of Americans who are gay and lesbian.


Does he not see that his 98% (not that I believe that 98% is even in the ball park for those who support this amendment) don't have the right to define something so personal as marriage for that 2% either?  Marriage, from the government's point of view, is a contract.  That's it.  As long as all parties are of legal age to enter a contract and freely consent, the government should be satisfied.

It's religion and the couples' beliefs about marriage that give it personal meaning.  No one is saying you have to let two men or two women marry in your church, if your church does not accept gay marriage.  (It's called separation of church and state.  We'll keep our government out of your church policies, you keep your church out of our government policies, and everyone will get along just fine.)  More than that, marriage is a union of hearts and lives.  It's what each couple brings to the table that makes a marriage.  You can't define that.  You can't control it.  And you have no right to impose your ideas on this most personal of relationships.

For anyone who wants to read a little bit more about the proposed amendment, here's an Indianapolis Star article that explains the situation in more detail.

I'd really like to end this with telling all of those GOP bastards where they can stick their stupid amendment.  But I won't.  I'd just as soon stay out of their bedrooms, and I wish they would extend the same courtesy to the rest of the world.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:42 AM

    Wow, I won't even go there. The alleged "Family" groups make my blood boil. I get so angry with them and their ignorance that my hair bursts into flames.
    Good for you on keeping this readable, when I allow my mind to even casually wander in those people's direction I lose all sense of decorum (and I don't have that much to begin with).
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Julie, you remind me of my high school debate class. We were doing team debates, and I some how got paired with the star of the drama department. The critique afterward was that we made a great team. He'd argue passionately, and I'd back him up with all the cool logic.

    So I'll keep poking along, making the reasonable points when I can. And you go ahead and burst into flame when you need to. If enough of us stand up and say, "You know, this is really dumb and offensive. Let's be a bigger, more just nation than this" we'll win the war eventually. I just wish that eventually would come a little sooner for all the people who suffer directly from this crappola.

    Also, that review you requested over the weekend goes live over at B&B in a couple of hours. And there's a surprise, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate it!