Friday, February 04, 2011

Playing Nice

Mom was pretty cranky today, so in an effort to pacify and play nice, I spent the evening in the living room with them instead of in my room.  I picked a movie off my Netflix queue, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, and we watched it.  Or I watched it, Dad slept through the whole thing, and Mom slept through a good chunk of the middle.  That's not really a comment on the quality of the movie.  Dad's got pneumonia right now, so he spends a lot of most evenings sleeping in the chair.  And Mom falls asleep in front of any movie that isn't overtly Christian or produced by the Hallmark channel.

Other than Harry's Law, there are no TV shows that we both enjoy.  And I've pretty much exhausted my supply of Instant Netflix movies in the Family category.  So if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.  They don't have to be animated, and they don't have to be kiddish.  They just need to be low on cursing and adult material.  And for my sanity if they could be low on the religious references and cheese factor, that would be good, too.

Even though Mom was snitty today (she is totally freaking out about all the ice outside our front door and getting the cars and driveway cleared out, even though we have no where to go and no way to get there, since the roads are just as bad), I had a pretty good day.  I read a book I enjoyed by a new-to-me author.  If Dad listened to Rush Limbaugh I never caught him at it.  And I, surprisingly, got a good night's sleep last night after my 3 hour nap.  I think I'm almost caught up.  Or as caught up as I ever get.

So that was my day.  How was yours?

5 comments:

  1. The Little Princess (the one from the 90s is gorgeous and really entertaining) and my grandma and I really love the Demi Moore movie The Butcher's Wife.

    Guys and Dolls

    The Awful Truth

    Sabrina (the original or remake--wonderful and also very beloved by my older and conservative relatives).

    Anything Rock Hudson/Doris Day or That Touch of Mink which is Doris Day for them, Cary Grant for you!

    Also, have you sat through Love Comes Softly? It's the ONLY christian theme hallmark one I like besides Sarah Plain and Tall which you could probably recite the dialogue to by now.

    I'd go old movies--funny but often inoffensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:41 AM

    Oh I loved "The Butcher's Wife." But yeah, I'm not gonna be real helpful on this one. All the movies I let the witchlings watch were kind of, well.... probably offensive to your folks (The Addams Family, The Bird Cage, What About Bob, My Cousin Vinny, pretty much everything Tim Allen every made).
    Let me think on this some more, there must be something!
    Oh, and my day was grand. I just finished writing tonight's post, my child is no longer homeless!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw something the other day that I think would fit but I can't remember what! I just remember recommending it to my dad. ... ... ... doh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it was just the TV series The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Yes, I think that's what it was. I remember thinking: Even my grandmother could watch this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency is an excellent idea! I watched it last summer, I think, and really enjoyed it. There's a gentleness and kindness to the show that I think they would enjoy, without getting all schmaltzy and religious, which I would not enjoy. It's not available streaming from Netflix, but I think it's worth doing a disc of that every once in a while.

    I've also added the British comedy Keeping Up Appearances, which they love and I loathe. But at least the episodes are short. It's the only one of their favorites on Instant. But I found a couple of others that they may or may not have seen before, so we'll give those a go, too. And I've got some oldies, like Arsenic and Old Lace and The Pajama Game on the list, so those are options, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate it!